Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj provides bullet points on pages 175-180 of this book, with regard to the healing attributes of salt. Please keep in mind, he is most referring to unrefined sea salt, or unrefined quarried salt such as, pink Himalayan salt, due to their high mineral content. These types of salt act synergistically with water and potassium, to keep our cells hydrated. Table salt, aka: sodium chloride, is not the same as unrefined sea salt, or pink, Himalayan salt. Typical sodium chloride is highly processed, denatured of its minerals, and has added anti-caking agents (aluminum silicate: toxic to the nervous system). Note: Sea salt is not always rich in iodine.
Take note of these interesting bullet points with regard to the proper intake of the proper kind of salt:
- Salt is a strong, natural antihistamine.
- Salt is a strong anti-stress element for the body.
- Salt is vital for extracting excess acidity from inside the cells, particularly the brain cells.
- Salt is vital for the kidneys to clear excess acidity into the urine.
- Salt is essential in the treatment of emotional and affective disorder.
- Salt is essential for preserving the serotonin and melatonin levels in the brain.
- Salt is vital for the prevention and treatment of cancer.
- Salt is vital for maintaining muscle tone and strength.
- Salt can be very effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, contrary to the misconception that is causes high blood pressure, is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure, in conjunction with water, and key minerals (i.e. potassium).
- Salt is vital for sleep regulation.
- Salt is a vitally needed element for Diabetics. It helps balance the sugar levels in the blood and reduces the need for insulin, in those who have to inject it to regulate their blood sugar levels.
- Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in all of the cells in the body.
- Salt is vital to the communication and information processing of nerve cells, the entire time the brain cells work – from the moment of conception to death.
- Salt is vital for the absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.
- Salt is vital for clearing the lungs of mucous and phlegm, particularly in asthma, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis sufferers.
- Salt on the tongue can help prevent persistent dry coughs.
- Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and sinus congestion.
- Salt can help in the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.
- Salt is essential for preventing muscle cramps.
- Salt is essential for preventing excess saliva production.
- Osteoporosis may be the result of a salt and water shortage in the body.
- Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones, firm.
- Salt can help maintain self-confidence and a positive self-image – a serotonin and melatonin controlled personality output.
- Salt can help maintain libido.
- Salt may help reduce a double chin.
- Salt may help prevent varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.
I highly recommend this book. You can read more about it here: http://www.shelfari.com/books/337496/Water
Sharon McGrail, THE ECO CHEF, 2011